.co.uk and .uk domain names
Essential for uk based businesses
The .uk and .co.uk domain name extensions are the most popular extensions in the UK. Most UK based businesses use at least one of these extensions to show that they are UK based and are seeking business primarily from UK based customers or clients.
Since June 2014, there are two main forms of UK geographical domain name extensions for businesses based in the UK:
- The .co.uk domain name extension. This has been around since 1997 and is the most popular domain extension for UK based businesses.
- The .uk domain name extension was introduced in June 2014 to provide a comparable, short alternative to the .co.uk extension.
Rights of registration - an explanation
Many registrants of .co.uk domain names have exclusive 'rights' to register the .uk version.
These exclusive 'rights of registration' expire on [insert].
If you place an offer for a .co.uk domain name, we will confirm whether or not you will have 'rights of registration' to the .uk version of the same name.
How to buy your .co.uk domain name
Buying a .co.uk domain name is very easy.
- Firstly, forward your offer to us using the contact form.
- If your offer is accepted, we will issue you with an invoice, requesting payment within 5 days.
- Once payment is received, we will 'initiate' the domain transfer using your chosen 'transfer' email address.
- Using your preferred registrar, you simply accept the transfer of the domain name and it will immediately appear in your Nominet account. At that's it!
Congratulations! You have just acquired your .co.uk domain name.